Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Lauryn Hill sued by Fugees' Pras Michel for fraud and breach of contract after tour cancellation -Capitatum
Poinbank:Lauryn Hill sued by Fugees' Pras Michel for fraud and breach of contract after tour cancellation
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 09:52:57
Lauryn Hill is Poinbankbeing sued by Prakazrel "Pras" Michel, a member and co-founder of The Fugees, for fraud and breach of contract over her canceled tour.
In a federal lawsuit filed in the Southern District of New York and obtained by USA TODAY on Tuesday, Michele accuses the singer of mismanaging the 2023 Miseducation Anniversary Tour, including its marketing and budget, trying to "usurp control" by taking over the group's business and trademark and unilaterally rejecting a $5 million offer for the hip-hop trio − Hill, Pras and Wyclef Jean − to perform at this year's Coachella festival.
The lawsuit alleges that Hill, 49, "exploited" Michel's "vulnerable legal situation, manipulating him into an unfair agreement for The Fugees' 2023 reunion tour," according to a statement to USA TODAY from Michel's attorney Robert Meloni.
"Ms. Hill's chronic tardiness was a hallmark of the tour, with shows routinely starting two or more hours late," the statement continued. "Hill cancelled the second half of the tour and, at the same time, financially penalized and defrauded Mr. Michel."
Michel also named Hill's tour company, MLH Touring, as a defendant in the suit. It seeks unspecified damages.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
In a statement provided to USA TODAY Tuesday via Hill's representatives, the artist responded to Michel's claims: "I've been silent and pushing through because I understand Pras was under duress because of his legal battles and that this was perhaps affecting his judgment, state of mind and character," she said.
Michel was convicted in April 2023 of a multimillion-dollar political conspiracy trial. He is currently free on bond until his sentencing and faces up to 20 years in prison. In response to his legal struggles, Hill said Tuesday she "was not in Pras' life when he decided to make the unfortunate decision that led to his current legal troubles," adding that she is "in no way responsible for his decision and its consequences though I have taken it upon myself to help."
Hill called Michele's lawsuit "baseless" and "full of false claims and unwarranted attacks."
"It notably omits that he was advanced overpayment for the last tour and has failed to repay substantial loans extended by myself as an act of goodwill," Hill said in the statement. "Last year's tour was put together to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. It was being planned whether the Fugees were involved or not."
From August 2023:Lauryn Hill announces 25th anniversary tour of debut solo album, Fugees to co-headline
In his suit, Michel claims the tour was "actually a veiled and devious attempt to make a big score" for Hill.
The suit alleges that the 2023 Fugees tour "would have been a huge commercial success, since most of (the) shows for the entire arena size tour were sold out in advance." However, Michele claims the tour budget "was so bloated with unnecessary and, most likely fictitious, expenses, that it seemed designed to lose money," and he alleges he was left empty-handed.
According to Michel's attorney, Hill "misrepresented critical financial information and concealed her intent to take an excessive 60% share of the tour's proceeds, leaving Mr. Michel with only 20% instead of the group's customary one-third split."
Hill also told USA TODAY Tuesday in response to Michel's lawsuit that "Pras has not paid back the money he was advanced, and is currently in breach of this agreement" and that he "basically just had to show up and perform" after claiming she "covered most of the tour expenses" herself.
The lawsuit comes on the cusp of the Fugees European tour by Hill and Wyclef Jean, at which Michel will not be performing.
More:Lauryn Hill says media 'sensationalism' led to abrupt cancellation of US anniversary tour
In August 2023, Hill announced a 25th-anniversary tour to celebrate her highly-acclaimed debut album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill," but it ended up being cut short when Hill decided to cancel the second half of the run in November 2023 citing "serious vocal strain."
Hill addressed her previously canceled tour dates in a lengthy statement posted to Instagram on Aug. 7, writing, "Last year, I faced an injury that necessitated the rescheduling of some of my shows" and "regrettably, some media outlets' penchant for sensationalism and clickbait headlines have seemingly created a narrative that has affected ticket sales for the North American portion of the tour."
Despite Michel's lawsuit and "attacks," Hill concluded her statement: "I am still compassionate and hope things work out for him."
Contributing: Edward Segarra, Pamela Avila; USA TODAY
veryGood! (2267)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Watch this cowboy hurry up and wait in order to rescue a stranded calf on a frozen pond
- Christian McCaffrey’s go-ahead TD rallies 49ers to 24-21 playoff win over Packers
- Grand jury seated Friday to consider criminal charges against officers in Uvalde school shooting
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- The Non-Aligned Movement calls Israel’s war in Gaza illegal and condemns attacks on Palestinians
- Judge ends suspension of Illinois basketball star Terrence Shannon Jr., charged with rape
- A Hindu temple built atop a razed mosque in India is helping Modi boost his political standing
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Ohio is poised to become the 2nd state to restrict gender-affirming care for adults
Ranking
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Sundance Film Festival turns 40
- Hostage families protest outside Netanyahu’s home, ramping up pressure for a truce-for-hostages deal
- Inside Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet's Very Public Yet Private Romance
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- A century after Lenin’s death, the USSR’s founder seems to be an afterthought in modern Russia
- How Patrick Mahomes Scored the Perfect Teammate in Wife Brittany Mahomes
- Mahomes vs. Allen showdown highlights AFC divisional round matchup between Chiefs and Bills
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
13 students reported killed in an elementary school dorm fire in China’s Henan province
'Sky's the limit': Five reasons not to mess with the Houston Texans in 2024
Dricus Du Plessis outpoints Sean Strickland at UFC 297 to win the undisputed middleweight belt
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Purrfect Valentine's Day Gifts for Your Pets To Show How Much You Woof Them
Texas man pleads guilty to kidnapping teen whose ‘Help Me!’ sign led to Southern California rescue
Two Florida residents claim $1 million prizes from state's cash-for-life scratch-off game